Want to tap into live CMS data? This article can show you how to quickly pull in live data into excel so that you can develop models and reports that automatically refresh.
In this example, we are going to pull in ownership information for Nursing Homes.
Step 2: Find the Odata URL.
Once you have found the data set you would like to pull into excel. We need to get the OData URL. Compare the numbers below to the numbers in the screenshot below.
- In the top right, click the light blue Export button.
- Select the OData category
- Copy the URL in the OData Endpoint section.
Step 3: Pull into Excel 2016
Once you have your URL copied. Open Excel 2016 into a new worksheet. Follow the steps below.
- On the top, click the Data option in the Ribbon.
- Select Get Data
- Select from Other Sources
- Select from OData Feed
- In the URL box, paste your CMS URL you copied from Step 2. Then click OK.
At this point, a data preview box should pop up for you to review.
Once you see this screen click ‘Load’.
Refreshing your CMS data
You now have a live data feed from data.medicare.gov in your workbook. You can create models, reports & analyze this information. If you ever want updated data from CMS just follow the step below.
Select Data from the Top Ribbon → Refresh All